The Beija Flor Residence
This fully-staffed 5-suite residence on the beach, sleeping up to 10, is close to the pretty and unspoilt village of Canavieras in southern Bahia, and makes an idyllic retreat for families of all ages. Play on the beach, try kite surfing or surfing and relax in beach restaurants with fresh fish, an icy beer or a caipirinha. This beautiful beach house is great for groups of friends and family as well as children of all ages and has a pool. It’s fairly remote - bring a couple of good books, lots of sunscreen and get set to soak up the sun, play in the sea and enjoy a slower pace of life in tropical surroundings.
What we love
- This beautiful residence is separated from the beach by a small grove of palm trees and is a private hideaway in a quiet destination
- The glorious wrap-around hardwood deck with teak loungers and an infinity pool (not fenced) plus hammocks and loungers
- All ground floor bedrooms are spacious with bathrooms, private balconies and air conditioning. 2 have queen beds, 2 have twins
- The stunning master suite has a large private terrace with beach views, three walls of windows and a large bathroom with walk-in showers and twin wash basins
- All bedrooms have plenty of storage plus separate dressing areas
- The location in Canavieras is magical: you’ll feel like you’ve discovered a hidden treasure
- Designed by renowned Brazilian architect Ricardo Salem in 2008, who also designed all the furniture
- The beach is completely yours, and almost completely undiscovered
- There's also a home theater with DVD player and films, the pool and various kid items from buckets and spades to surfboards that can be added
Things to know
- Easiest international access involves flights to Rio or Sao Paulo and a local flight to a nearby airport
- Private transfers from the local Ilheus airport can be arranged - ask on booking
- This residence is fully staffed with 2 maids, a local cook, maintenance man, night guard and house manager plus English-speaking host and night watchman.
- Additional babysitters and maids etc can be provided for extra cost, paid locally
- Bedrooms are laid out with 4 on the ground floor and 1, the master suite, upstairs
- Ask on booking for baby equipment if needed. Note that there are no stair or pool gates in the property and that small kids will need supervision
- A welcome hamper of drinks and snacks is included in the cost of the rental, as are household essentials and basic cleaning products. You can also book a custom grocery shop pre-trip
- Car hire is recommended but not essential. Cars can be hired locally - the staff can assist
- The Royal Charlotte Bank offshore has the finest blue water fishing in South America. A fishing boat is available for an extra charge by the day
- The house has varying minimum stay requirements depending on the time of year. Please ask for more details!
Brazil’s most glamorous beaches
In a country known for its beauty (and its beauties), Bahia is the most gorgeous spot of all. Known as the most glamorous state in the country, it’s where the locals go for their holidays, seeking out candy-colored cottages hung with hammocks just steps from the perfect sea. The coastline here is diverse, with surf villages, trendy towns and wild empty bays backed by rainforests and you’ll find anything from upmarket restaurants with extensive wine lists to beach shacks serving fresh fish baked in leaves along its extensive coast. The best thing of all? Kids are the all-access pass you need to make the most of the country, welcomed everywhere and included in everything.