The Hopewell Residence
Half an hour west of Montego Bay in northwest Jamaica, this old school, classic Jamaican residence, sleeping up to 12, is fully staffed and shares the facilities of Round Hill Hotel. Forget Hopewell, it’s all about living well here: you get the best of both worlds: an airy, spacious 5 bedroomed private residence with a freshwater pool and tropical gardens, plus access to the hotel’s kids club and facilities and the area’s most kid-friendly beach. It’s a fantastic location, just across the road from said beach, and an idyllic spot for a family vacation in Jamaica. As the residence is comprised of two buildings, a cottage sleeping 4-6 and the main house, sleeping 6, it works well for a multi-family or multi-generational trip, and can be rented at a discount for smaller groups.
What we love
- There’s so much space: not just in the spacious main house and cottage, but around it too, with tropical gardens and a freshwater swimming pool
- Views while you’re eating breakfast will be of palm trees swaying and a backdrop of the ocean
- The nearest beach is shallow, small and adorable and is about 15 minutes away on foot, 5 minutes by car
- It’s got a cool, relaxed style: the stunning pitched roof in the lounge, the bedrooms with their four-poster beds and crisp white linen, the contemporary pool loungers
- The pineapple bedside lamps get the thumbs up too
- There are two separate buildings: the main house, with 3 double bedrooms and the lounge, and the cottage, with 2 interconnecting bedrooms
- The residence has a tree swing, hammock and pool
- Links with Round Hill Hotel - a short walk away - mean that you can access their facilities (tennis, pools, beach club) and Pineapple Kids Club ($20/day), and have membership at the most kid-friendly beach in the area
- The residence has WiFi, ping pong, board games, cable TV and beach bags
Things to know
- We encourage you to contact the host to confirm rates for desired dates as they vary during high and low season and a discount may be available depending on the number of guests.
- During Christmas and New Year's weeks there is a higher rate. High season may require a one week minimum stay
- The property can be rented out as a whole, or in part (discounts are applied for smaller parties)
- 20 minutes from downtown Montego Bay & Sangster International Airport
- The unheated pool (typical for Jamaica) does not have a shallow end or fence but is a little distance down some steps from the villa
- The best rooms for those with young children are in the Cottage, which has two adjoining rooms with a twin bed room and a double queen bed room
- In the main house, all rooms open on to the veranda
- There are two extra fees: groceries and staff tips (10-15%) to be paid during your stay. Groceries typically cost $60/adult and $30/child per day; prices aren't set and depend on what you eat. You can either pay your host in cash during your stay, or we can arrange for a charge to your card at the end of your stay.
- No particular baby-proofing, though the villa is on one level; a crib can be provided
- There are no pool/beach toys at the residence, but there are plenty to borrow at Round Hill
- WiFi in Jamaica is more laid-back and less reliable than in major international cities
- The residence is fully staffed with chef, butler, housekeeper, laundress and gardener. Babysitting can be arranged
Palm-fringed beaches and technicolor sunsets
West of Montego Bay, Jamaica's second smallest parish is slightly off the tourist beat, with classy residences in the hills and near the beach. It's one of Jamaica's less developed areas with fewer resorts and more authentic natural sights. Expect palm-fringed beaches, technicolor sunsets and shallow, sugar-sand beaches.